Monday, December 17, 2007

Hey babe,

Alright, so I'm not quite sure when my blog started being female. . . whatever. I'm not talking to her right now. Getting on with my post. . . So, a year has passed. Ok fourteen months. I'm somewhat saddened. A lot has happened since last year. Some of it I'm not going to get into much detail about except that I had an opportunity to spend a few more months working than I had expected between school years this year and I've now joined the ranks of the class of 2011. I'll let you figure out what happened. I was, and always will be too stubborn to quit something once I've started it. I'm a finisher. Anyway, in other news, I moved out from the Miller's place into my own pad back in August. The rent is a bit exorbitant for the space I have but it's enough for me, it's clean, the landlords leave me alone and it isn't *that far from school. I like it but I will definitely move for next year. Living on your own is nice because you don't have to worry about roommate issues, but at the same time it kinda sucks to come home to a dark and quiet home. I may try to see about getting one of the townhouses right next to the college and filling it with a few people for next year.

For those of youtechno-geeky people out there, the next paragraph is for you. Otherwise skip it. Or not at the risk of your own boredom.

In October I finally made the complete switch to a Linux system. I have been running a dual boot with windows for the past couple of years, but mostly ended up booting into Windows because that was what I was comfortable with and that was the path of least resistance. I had tried a few different distros (Mepis, Ubuntu and Kubuntu). Mepis didn't really have enough of a user base - it took forever to get help on the forums and then it became proprietary. So I tried Ubuntu because it has a much larger user base, but it was an immediate no. I really don't like the Gnome Desktop Environment. So that led me to Kubuntu which brought me back to the K Desktop Environment that I was used to and still had the user support group of the Ubuntu distro. Well, the biggest problem with any linux distro is that it isn't really point and click enough for the average Windows user. This led me to Freespire. It's so much more intuitive than any other distro that I've used so far, ok, well, maybe intuitive isn't the right word so much as Windows-like, but then that's what you might expect from people that to the best of my knowledge used to be called lindows. Anyway, I screwed up the install and Windows won't boot properly, but it's ok. Maybe that was the kick I needed to really embrace linux as my primary os. I'll let you know how its going from time to time.

Well, welcome back you techno-illiterate folks. Lets talk about something more up your alley. Ok, no, this topic is worth it's own post. I'll give you a clue now though. I thas to do with sweaters of an ugly Christmas variety and moustaches. . . piqued your interest? Good.

LL

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]