Saturday, February 19, 2011

The Importance of Commitment

Tonight I went to my girlfriend's long time family friend's recommitment ceremony/20th wedding anniversary celebration. It was a good time and I felt priveleged to be there as these people who have been so important in my girlfriend's life reaffimed their love and devotion to each other.

Anyway, the once-again-bride did a survey of the couples she knew to see if they could go back in time if they would remarry their spouses. Out of 15 couples, only 6 of them said they would do it all again! She stopped the survey of her friends at 15 because she was getting depressed.

I really think that this little survey shows us something that is wrong with us and our society today. We have lost the ability to really commit to something. When people get married, they say they are committing to each other for life, but often that commitment is based solely on a feeling, and when that feeling goes away, so does the commitment.

Being committed to something means sticking with it, even when you don't feel like it. If you're like me, you probably have goals for your health this year. Mine is to shed the 15 pounds of fat I put on in the second half of last year and replace it with about 10 pounds of muscle. This is in preparation to do my first triathlon on June 11th. That means I have a little less than 4 months to train. I know I'm going to need every minute of it, but when it's cold and dark outside and I don't feel like going to the gym, just how committed am I? I can't just be involved in training for the triathlon, show up at the gym every once in a while and hope for the best on race day. I need to commit to sticking to my training schedule and to eating right if I want to meet my goals and have any chance of finishing the triathlon on race day.

I recently heard a story that illustrated the difference between involvement and commitment. I don't know where I heard it, but basically it said this, if you eat a cooked breakfast of bacon and eggs, the chicken was involved but the pig was committed!

We need to have the same kind of commitment to our health goals as the pig does to you breakfast. It's all on the line and there's no going back!

You don't have to commit to doing a triathlon, but if you want to feel good about your health, you need to make some sort of a commitment to it. Whether that's committing to eating right or taking better care of your body by getting regular chair massage (my shameless self plug of the day), it doesn't matter. What does matter is that once you've committed to your goals, stay committed by telling people what they are. Introducing accountability to your health goals means that you are much more likely to complete them!

Now that I've told you what my goals are, please hold me accountable! Post a comment below or drop me a line to ask me how my training is going. I'm sure I'll write more about it as I go.

If you want me to keep you accountable and committed to your health goals, I'll reply to everyone who emails me at info@feelgoodchairmassage.com with the subject line of "Keep me accountable Andrew!".  I'll check in every month this year to make sure you stay on track.

If we can be just a little more committed than the chicken I know this year will be one we can feel good about!

Here's to Feeling Good!

Andrew


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]